Saturday, August 18, 2007

Quick Casserole

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Quick Casserole
Current mood: full

Tonight I needed to use up some meat and vegetables in the fridge, and I need things that are quick and pretty easy. (I picked two very simple recipes, but even so by the time I could sit down my feet were KILLING me). I ended up with a squash casserole (a standard of mine- my grandmother's recipe) and a 50s-era ground beef casserole, which I spruced up a little. We haven't tasted the squash casserole yet, but the ground beef casserole was a big hit! Littleman kept whining that he didn't waaant casserole. . . but when he tasted it, he happily ate the whole bowl. (Sweetcheeks, of course, just gobbled it right up and had seconds. . . geez, that kid can eat!) Littleman told me that it was "kind of like chicken pot pie" - which, I can tell you, is high praise indeed! LOL.

Ground Beef Casserole
(including my changes)

1/2 lb. ground beef (I used chuck)
1/2 lb. ground bison
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. olive oil
2 cans cream of chicken soup (did I mention I found this recipe in an old church fundraiser cookbook?)
1/2 can kernel corn, with liquid
1/2 can green beans, with liquid (the recipe simply called for one can mixed veggies, but I didn't have one)
approx. 1/2 cup chopped fresh celery
approx. 1 cup fresh sweet bell peppers (I used red and green) chopped fine
1 pkg. beef or chicken flavored Ramen noodles (I used beef)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, saute until softened.
- Add ground meat. Just brown the meat- it's not necessary to cook it through.
- Meanwhile, break apart dry Ramen noodles into a casserole dish. Lightly sprinkle in just a touch of the seasoning packet, and discard the rest.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and the rest of the vegetables to the Ramen noodles.
- Dump the meat, onion and garlic mixture into the casserole dish with the noodles and veggies and mix all ingredients well.

- Bake in the 350 degree oven for one hour.
Enjoy!

No comments: