Saturday, March 8, 2008

Stuff I like: children's books

Friday, March 07, 2008

Stuff I like: children's books
Current mood: cheerful

Whew. What a week.
* * *

Anyway, tonight I have a post that was inspired by Foolery. Here, in no particular order, are just a few of our most favorite children's books (thus far)- I'll shoot for some of the lesser-known.

First, some board books:
Everywhere Babies

Everywhere Babies by Susan Meyers, illustrated by Marla Frazee
I love this book for it's sweet text, great rhythm and lovely illustrations. My boys have enjoyed it, and it's been a favorite for some of my friends, too. I like to give it as a gift. I like how the illustrations show a nice variety of people, places and objects that young children might encounter in their own lives.



*
Moo, Baa, La La La!

Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
This is classic Boynton, with wonderful rhythm and a nice sense of whimsy. It always made my boys giggle. We also love her Barnyard Dance for the same reasons.



*
Global Babies

Global Babies by the Global Fund for Children
This is a very beautiful book, with brightly colored close-up photographs of babies' faces. Any book with clear photos of baby faces seems to be a delight to other babies, and my boys have been no exception. I also love that this book celebrates the beauty found in many other cultures. The text, while not inspiring per se, is sweet and doesn't detract from the photography.


*
The Owl and the Pussycat

The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear, illustrated by Jan Brett
This is the classic poem by Edward Lear, only here it is illustrated in Jan Brett's lush, detailed style. Be warned, older children (and silly adults) may giggle incessantly at the cat's being called "Pussy", but despite the antiquated language the poem is a delight and the illustrations are positively superb. Again, this one has a lovely rhythm when read out loud.



*
My First ABC Board Book

My First ABC Board Book by DK Publishing
This has simply been a favorite of my boys. They really love looking at the pictures, identifying things and learning the letters. Over and over again, they choose this book.


*
In the Garden With Van Gogh

In the Garden With Van Gogh by Julie Merberg and Suzanne Bober
I love that this book introduces children to the paintings of Van Gogh, and the text is nice too. My boys enjoyed it (especially Sweetcheeks). There are several other books in this series, as well.




I think I will stop there for now. More another day!

* * *

Tonight's thumbs-up is for Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Liquid Dish Soap. I have been having to wash all our dishes by hand (long story) and this stuff is great. I'm really pleased about that, because it is also biodegradable, all natural and cruelty-free. Booya!

No comments: