Thursday, January 18, 2007

A few ramblings, and thank you.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A few ramblings, and thank you.
Current mood: uncomfortable

Ow.
I did something to my back yesterday. Something unpleasant. And sadly, whatever I did was embarrasingly mundane to have caused this much trouble- I don't even remember precisely what it was but it involved folding laundry. I wasn't even lifting anything heavy. Now, I have to hold my breath and grit my teeth to bend down, climb stairs or lift one of the boys. It hurts. I probably shouldn't be lifting the boys, but what is one to do?

My Mom loaned me a back brace today, which does help. The climbing stairs is no longer a big deal, and I can kneel down and get back up again without much pain, if I am careful. I only lift the boys if I have to, and I do so very carefully indeed. I am really hoping this is a simple strain, or a pinched nerve or something and that it will fade soon. Otherwise I will have to see someone about it. Time will tell.

* * *

Why does a toddler's experimentation with cause and effect have to involve "What happens if I peg my brother in the head with this wooden train"? (Or block, or pirate, etc. . .) Poor Littleman has a scab on his head right now, courtesy of Sweetcheeks' well developed pitching arm. There's no malice here (yet), but it's not fun. At least they spend a lot more time playing nicely together than they spend damaging each other. It's been very nice for me for them to enjoy each others' company so much. The house is semi-clean, even! Amazing how much I can get done when they don't need me every waking second.

* * *

So much for this winter storm. Not that I expected a whole lot, being that the ground is as warm as it is. You can't expect snow and ice to stick around here, unless it's been good and cold for a week at least. Whereas we have had warmer-than-spring temperatures for longer than that. One of Littleman's signature questions is "What happened ___?" (Apply this to any situation, regardless of sense. . . it's just his way of asking you to explain). A couple weeks ago or so I said something about winter being so different than I remember them being when I was a kid here. Littleman pipes up, "What happened the winter?" Well, I don't have all the answers to that question, but I have a theory, shared by many, and it isn't pretty. What will this world be like when my boys are nearly grown? Will change be slow, or will they see a dramatic shift in their lifetimes? Will people wake up in time to slow things down at all?

* * *

I think my back has made me a little sour. Actually, I am not in a bad mood. But the boys are getting very impatient with me, and I am constantly being interrupted now. I feel like rambling on at you, my loyal readers, but I have a feeling that tending to my children would be much more productive at this point. ;) I'd like to get them in bed in time for me to have a nice long hot soak.

* * *
PS- this isn't much for many bloggers, but I was surprised to note my little journal here has surpassed 1,100 hits. Wow. Who are you folks, anyway? LOL, whoever you are, thank you because you keep me writing. (however infrequently, sometimes). OK. I've heard "Why" about 60 times in quick succesion. I think someone wants my attention. :)

No comments: