Monday, January 19, 2009

The Milkweed Project

I am busy busy, but want to pop in to pass on some information on a cool collaborative project which knitters and crocheters can participate in:

The Milkweed Project

A college Art professor is organizing a huge installation art piece- she wishes to recreate the sensation of being inside a milkweed pod. From the site:

* * *
Why a milkweed pod?

This project explores connection: between humans all over the world, between humans and nature and between small things and large. By taking thousands of tiny stitches and making something huge, we are doing something that can't be done by one person alone, thus emphasizing our connection to each other.

The project also explores our interdependence with nature. Milkweed pods are a small but important part of the ecosystem. They spread because of the light nature of their seeds, which are carried by the wind. By using the internet as the wind, and each participant as a new plant, this project attempts to mimic that process.

And, milkweed pods are simply beautiful, as is white on white and fiber craft. I think the potential for a beautiful installation is great.
* * *

To participate, you simply knit or crochet a piece from white or off-white yarn. Any size is welcome, though she says long and skinny is better than short and fat. See the linked page for more information.

She hopes to have pieces by this Spring, so she can assemble the installation and hopefully get grants to allow the finished piece to travel.

I think this is so cool! Any skill level can easily participate. I will be starting my white knitting very soon!

http://sticksandstitches.squarespace.com/the-milkweed-project-you-p/

5 comments:

Kyddryn said...

I have a few baby-related projects to finish (for other people, not me, not me!!!) but I am planning to add this to the pile - it looks like fun!

SHade and Sweetwater,
K

Kyddryn said...

I dig your blog and the contributions you make to Blogopolis, so I gave you an award over at my blog - come and get it!

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

Kit said...

I'll have to post a pic of the fluff I'm knitting up for the project. Simple and fun.

An award? For me?? Aww, thanks! It's my first! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like fun, thanks for the heads up! I've never officially learned to crochet though I got a hook and some wool in a thrift shop last year and had a try using some online instructions. The instructions were not clear but I found out that if I just kept doing the same thing (however wrong) the crochet kept growing, it was the strangest and most fascinating thing! I am going to check out that website and see if they will accept something that is barely crochet, It looks like a VERY cool project.

Kit said...

I'm pretty sure your version of crochet would be perfectly welcome. Glad you're interested! :)