Wednesday, March 15, 2006

the turning of the year

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

the turning of the year
Current mood: cheerful

First of all, I would like to announce to the world that Mr Cheeks went to sleep at 9:30 last night, slept till 4:30, then after nursing and a diaper change slept till 8:30! OK OK, you might not think that's such big news but it sure is to me. :) He normally eats every three hours around the clock, so that is a vast improvement when it comes to my ability to get a good night's rest. I'm still tired- I have a lot of catching up to do- but it's good news.

I have been so happy to see Spring busting out all over the place. Those couple of 70 degree days were such a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively). I have been feeling more and more renewed, in a general sort of way. I am inspired to do things again. I didn't feel depressed before, or at least didn't think I did, but I definitely feel happier now that I'm getting outside more, it's not so cold and the leaves are budding out. I'm bummed we never got any real snow, but so be it- it's time for Spring.

All that has got me thinking about seasonal changes, and how I would like to have some sort of ritual or recognition of the turning of the year be a regualr part of my childrens' upbringing. There are remnants of these celebrations in our cultural calendar- Easter in Spring, Halloween in Fall, Christmas (or many other religious holidays) in the Winter. Around here, Billy and I celebrate Summer Solstice with our birthday. But I think I am looking for something more direct. Some special traditions we can enjoy as a family. It doesn't have to be involved. Spring is a good time to plant, for instance. Also a good time to renew acquaintances or reaffirm ties with family. Summer is a time of ripeness, of fun. Great for a picnic, or a trip to clean up a natural place. A time to appreciate Mother Nature. Fall is a wonderful time to reflect on hearth and home- to reconnect with Grandparents, for instance. A time to learn how to cook, how to stock up for the coming winter, in both concrete and emotional ways. And winter is great for talking about death and rebirth, as the darkness comes and the the sun begins it's journey back toward longer days again. Of course, because of all the traditions we already love about Christmastime, it is also a time for giving and receiving, and for family. I'm sure I can think of more.

Did/do any of you have traditions that help you recognize the turning of the year?

It seems like so many people have lost that connection with the earth. We may notice it in passing, as we step outside and see the trees or feel the wind, as we track the weather to be sure we can dress comfortably and not get wet. But to reflect on time passing, to revel in the perfect completeness of this ever turning cycle, is in many ways lost on us. In some ways it is impractical to have perfect awareness of such beautifully all-encompassing truths intrude on our daily hubbub- but in other ways it is imperative that we try to invite it in. I know that I need that connection just as a tree needs it's roots to grow deep into the earth. I drink the completeness, the beauty and eternity of it, and it nourishes my soul. I want to give that connection- nay, an even deeper connection- to my children. I hope they can love, admire and draw comfort from the cycles of the earth just as I do. It will serve them well, and perhaps they will grow up with a respect for these natural things.

No comments: