Saturday, July 8, 2006

I can hear the crickets

Friday, July 07, 2006

I can hear the crickets
Current mood: tired

I can hear the crickets chirping outside.

It is one of my all-time favorite sounds. Instantly I feel echoes of childhood, the rosy afterimage of half-remembered moments. Summer camp, sweet muggy evenings at my great-grandparents' farm, taking short-cuts through backyards after dark. Catching firefies or eating ice-cream on the deck when I should have gone to bed long ago. Their rythm also calls up later memories- skinny dipping at Rockbrook Camp with some other counselors, motorcycle rides through the liquid summer night air, sweet sweaty sex with the summer night breeze to cool us. Rich, rich remembering. I want to fling all the windows open to let the sound pour in.

I like Winter, Spring and Fall (especially Fall), but they do not bring me this gift. I am so grateful for summer nights, and the crickets that remind me.

No comments: