Monday, January 23, 2012

Music Monday: 2011 in Review

One thing I have really enjoyed over the past year has been 'discovering' new music. The internet is overflowing with fresh sound and talent, and it's exciting to come across something wonderful that you've never heard before. Almost as fun is sharing my discoveries with others. I've usually done this through word-of-mouth, Facebook and (less effectively) Twitter. I've blogged a few of them, but it occurred to me recently that it would be fun to blog my favorite music discoveries (new to me, anyway) of 2011 all in one post. So, here we go. . .

** Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars

The Civil Wars top my list of favorites that I first heard in 2011. I bought the whole album, and have been listening to it all year. Not tired of it yet. Second favorite track is Falling.


** Heart's A Mess by Gotye

This is definitely at the top of my list- Gotye's most recent album "Making Mirrors" is one of only four full albums I purchased in 2011. Again, I've been listening to it incessantly and I'm not tired of it yet! I'm excited to hear the single Somebody That I Used to Know is now getting some airplay on a local radio station.


** White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes. . . I just love this song, and the video. It's another one that has stuck with me reliably. Interestingly, nothing else by Fleet Foxes has grabbed my imagination quite like this one has.


** You Will Love This Song by Amber Rubarth

This is fabulous and charming. Check out her other project, too- the band Paper Raincoat- here's Sympathetic Vibrations


** Black Rock by The Infamous Stringdusters

This is an older video, and the band continues to evolve in new and exciting directions. It remains one of my favorite videos of theirs however, and it was key to me becoming enamored of their music last year. I have seen them play live several times now, and it is RIDICULOUS. Ridiculously, astonishingly good. Full disclosure: Billy is producing their next album. . . but I can honestly tell you my appreciation for this band stands entirely on its own. They definitely belong here in my top list.

** Mango Tree by Angus and Julia Stone

I simply adore this song, and a few others of theirs, as well. Check out Hold On, too- just stunning.


** I Don't Know by Lisa Hannigan

This is delightful, and I also love the live version performed at Dick Mac's Pub. Check out her other videos, too- she makes me happy.

** Bouncing Stones by Spoonbill

Very, very cool. I love the groove and the video, too. Also check out Feather Leather:


** Closer To Love by Mat Kearney

This is another full album that I bought, and have thoroughly enjoyed.

For the 10th, here's just a random selection of some other favs:

* I Am Not a Robot by Marina and the Diamonds
* Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People
* Gravity by Sara Bareilles
* Loving Strangers by Russian Red
* A Little Bit of Everything by Dawes

What did I forget? What great music did you discover last year?

No comments: