Thursday, January 28, 2010

Crafting for Charity

Today, I mailed off a couple packages. One of them has been a LONG time coming, and is in fact about 10 days late for the final deadline. I hope that's OK. . . I finished it ages ago, but didn't manage to mail it before today. C'est la vie. It was one of several craft-related charity/group projects that I have participated in- specifically, it is a contribution to the installation art piece known as the Milkweed Project. No, I don't have a picture of my contribution. Sorry, sorry! I was so thrilled to be finally mailing it today that I forgot to photograph it for posterity. It was a simple thing though, so you haven't missed much. :) There are many photographs on the website however, of contributions from all over the world. I've enjoyed checking them out, and I really look forward to seeing how it all comes together!

The second package I mailed out was a red scarf for the Orphan Foundation of America's Red Scarf Project. I found out about this project from a friend, who learned of it through Craft Hope. Red hand-knit or crocheted scarves are donated to orphaned foster teens. I had some great red yarn leftover from another project, and it knit up very quickly. Again, I forgot to take a picture. I know, I know! Some photographer I am. It is a simple scarf though, mostly straight garter stitch. It's appealing for it's dense, cushiony softness, it's warmth, and it's deep garnet color, rather than for it's design. :) I hope it's new owner likes it. The deadline for this project is Valentine's Day, so there's still time if you'd like to make a scarf, too!

The other craft-related charitable project which I recently participated in was the Iraqi Bundles of Love (or IBOL) project. I blogged about it early on, but never posted pictures of our bundles. ("Our" meaning myself and a couple other wonderful ladies in a craft group I am in.) So, finally, here's a few photos of our finished bundles, ready to send:





(the above photos are by Kyddryn)



In addition, the boys and I participated in IBOL Sundae. It was delicious!


The IBOL project was exciting. It was so gratifying not only to help, but to see so much of the goodwill unfolding in Art's blog. I really enjoyed that. :)

Hmm. . . maybe it's time for a new charitable craft endeavor. . .
There's afghans for Afghans, or Artists Helping Children, or Project Linus, the local charity Tiny Stitches, or Warm the World. . .
Or, maybe I should just finish the numerous projects I've already got going. :P

2 comments:

Bird said...

These are just gorgeous packages... and the cakes aint bad either! I'm sure the recipient of the scarf will be glad of it with the extreme winter we seem to be having all around the world right now. I've been wondering about finding a knitting for charity project so I'm going to check out those links.

Art said...

Shhhhhh -- IBOL II: Give A Little is going to hit the web, probably Monday night.