Thursday, January 7, 2010

Skywatch Friday (Rockbrook edition)


Back when I was in college, I spent a couple summers as a camp counselor at a wonderful place called Rockbrook. Rockbrook Camp is a girls' summer camp that's been in operation in North Carolina since the 20s, and it's a remarkable experience.


When I decided I wanted to be a camp counselor for the summer, I applied to a ton of promising-looking summer camps. Several offered me the job, and from those I narrowed my prospects down to just four choice spots. Then I roped my Mom into a road trip to look at each camp in person and meet the people who would run the show.


We visited two great camps, and I felt my decision would be a difficult one. Next on the agenda was Rockbrook Camp for Girls, just outside of Brevard, NC. The drive there was gorgeous, on a twisty rhododendron-flanked mountain road. I started to get excited as we drove up the driveway- you could absolutely sense the history of the place, yet it felt very vital and natural at the same time. I took just three steps out of the car, breathed deep, turned to my Mom and said with absolute conviction, "THIS is the place."


And it was. It couldn't have been more perfect. From the setting, to the philosophy, from the campers, to my fellow staff, from the long-held traditions to the lively young enthusiasm all around, it was a brilliant time in my life. I wish I could have devoted more summers to that wonderful place.


At the end of last August, Rockbrook held a reunion retreat, for all alumni- campers and staff alike. Most of the people there had begun as campers, sometimes living every single summer of their childhoods there, then graduating to counselors when the time came. Some women were there with their mothers, who had also spent summers as Rockbrook Girls. It was a delightful weekend. I so hope they do it again. I spent just two lovely summers there, teaching arts and crafts and shepherding unruly bunches of pre-teen girls through camp adventures. Yet somehow, Rockbrook is a part of me, has grown it's roots into my soul just as it obviously does with so many girls and women it touches. I look forward to visiting again.

These Skywatch sunset photos were taken August 29, 2009 from the hill at Rockbrook Camp, NC.

See more Skywatch photos from all over the world! Visit http://skyley.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Megan, Life Revamped said...

what a nice place indeed to spend the summer!

SquirrelQueen said...

Gorgeous skies. Many years ago I directed a Girl Scout camp in Georgia and later in Alaska. It is a wonderful experience for the camp staff as well as the campers. I think I may have attended a meeting at Rockwood, that or just a tour.

Through Squirrel Eyes

duopastorale said...

Looks like beautiful place!!

Five Bears A-Blogging said...

Beautiful pix! I gotta figure out how to take dusk shots on my camera :) - Mo

gracia said...

wow.. great shots .very nostalgic..

Bird said...

Gorgeous skies Kit! And that place sounds very special.